Subscribe to the forum by e-mail
E-mail address:

::General discussion front page
::Post new message

This is a general discussion forum about petanque. All issues may be discussed here.

technique

Posted by: dan stephenson) at 2008-07-20 14:30:49
Posting has been displayed 3259 times

hi, would anyone know a good technique for throwing boule, should a player push throwing shoulder/arm down when swinging to keep it straight or just leave it naturally as i tend to lean to side im throwing from. Also the release, what part of the release does the thump control as i need to extend it staying level with my hand, should you release in front of your face(nose) or more towards your cheek on throwing arm? i tend to pull the boule left or slip it out of my hand? any help would be appreciated.

technique

Posted by: dan stephenson) at 2008-07-20 14:34:49
Posting has been displayed 1291 times

the boule slips when i throw 10metre or play a high loft i drop short 6m coche i drop 2m? sometimes i throw a boule above my head and over my head! thanks.

Throwing the Boule

Posted by: Jeff widen) at 2008-07-23 09:26:54
Posting has been displayed 1242 times

First we need a few more bits of information:

1) Are you talking about pointing or shooting (or both)?

2) Are you always throwing from a standing position or also squat?

3) Are you left or right handed? You say the boule tends to pull to the left suggesting that you are right handed...

Jeff Widen
-Detroit Petanque Club

Throwing the Boule

Posted by: dan stephenson) at 2008-07-23 17:02:07
Posting has been displayed 1119 times

hi, i pull the boule to the left if i try releasing right in line with my fac, its different if i release in line with my leg...yes i'm right handed, i'm also talking about pointing and shooting.

technique

Posted by: joel grosse) at 2008-08-28 17:36:50
Posting has been displayed 1070 times

HELLO DAN,

if the boule goes over your head PLEASE consider buying a HEAVY DUTY

HELMET or install some CAUTION TAPE around the courts..

SO everyone can be SAFE....ALLWAYS remember,SAFETY FIRST!!!!

GOOD LUCK.

WISH YOU the BEST.

JOEL.

Throwing the Boule

Posted by: Jeff Widen) at 2008-07-26 21:29:39
Posting has been displayed 1210 times

Using "english" spin on the boule and throwing purposely slightly opposite to the direction of the spin seems to make the boule roll straighter - I'm left handed, so when i execute a side-spin, the boule is spinning tot he right. So I point slightly more left than usual, this carries the boule in a straight line. But if I want the boule to hook right, I use lots of side (left) spin and this executes a sort of "s" curve (hook) to the right (useful for getting around blocking boules close to the cochonnet.

technique

Posted by: le carreau) at 2008-09-09 18:30:29
Posting has been displayed 726 times

thanks for help, would you fellow petanquers say when you throw a boule would you make sure your shoulder is dropped as well as the arm pushed down to keep it straight? how would you say the arm works when you swing

Throwing the Boule

Posted by: dan stephenson) at 2008-08-03 17:18:09
Posting has been displayed 1068 times

hi, thanks for reply. my actual question wasn't how to use spin, it was the fact that i cant play a high or long shot with out the boule slipping from my hand by catching fingers.

Throwing the Boule

Posted by: le carreau) at 2008-08-10 16:11:20
Posting has been displayed 1023 times

hello...I also need help in releasing the boule as it never leaves my hand smoothly :(

Throwing the Boule

Posted by: Jeff widen) at 2008-08-11 14:40:17
Posting has been displayed 879 times

Offering tips on how to release a boule is a bit difficult and ambiguous when left to mere text...

...I suggest you watch the many petanque videos available on YOU TUBE - specifically the videos that involve top players at big tournaments - and watch their stance, their arm movements, and their finger/wrist configurations.

If the actual boule isn't throwing you off (too many stripes, too heavy a boule) then look at these videos and try our the top player's techniques.

Throwing the Boule

Posted by: le carreau) at 2008-08-11 15:47:42
Posting has been displayed 1235 times

hello...thank you, i have watched loads of vids on technique, i just can't seem to grasp the release since i started playing again 5yrs ago after a 5yr break. i play with plain boule and 690 weight. my instinct is the size.

Throwing the Boule

Posted by: Jeff widen) at 2008-09-10 11:05:20
Posting has been displayed 1459 times

oh, the release?

...well, it is VERY important that you DO release the boule else it won't go very far!

::General discussion front page
::Post new message

Petanque.org

The world wide petanque and boule community, by and for users.

Tweets by @PetanqueOrg Tweets about "petanque"