Subscribe to the forum by e-mail
E-mail address:

::General discussion front page
::Post new message

This is a general discussion forum about petanque. All issues may be discussed here.

Rule Clarification

Posted by: Travis Cready) at 2010-09-24 13:42:28
Posting has been displayed 2147 times

Hello, as a recent petanque convert, I have run into a situation that I am unsure of. I threw a boule that hit a dog running across the court. This occurred about 2 feet past the jack, and was still in motion when kicked by said dog.

We all assumed this would be a re-throw, but now that I am looking at the "official" rule I am not so sure. The rule reads,

"Once thrown a boule may not be replayed: except that it must be replayed if it has been stopped or diverted accidentally from its course between the circle and the jack by a boule or jack coming from another game; or by an animal or any other moving object "

This seems to suggest that it is only re-thown if the boule is between the "circle and the jack", and since at the time of contact it was a couple feet past, it would not get re-thrown.

Is anyone able to enlighten me? Thank you!

Rule Clarification

Posted by: nadine simpson) at 2010-09-24 23:22:34
Posting has been displayed 254 times

forget the rules is the dog alright lol

Rule Clarification

Posted by: Fraser White) at 2010-09-25 09:08:04
Posting has been displayed 884 times

Here in Cheshire, local rules dictate that if a dog runs onto the terrain, and interferes with a game, it gets put down.

Rule Clarification

Posted by: Peter Beresford) at 2010-10-03 10:45:29
Posting has been displayed 1721 times

Same should apply to children and tourists :)

With regard to the rules, I don't know the right answer, but, if I were in a 'proper' competition, I'd call the umpire. If it were a 'local' or social game I'd probably agree with the opponents to either rethrow it, or leave it where it stops (Art 19, first paragraph - although the dog would have to be classed as a spectator for this!).

Rule Clarification

Posted by: Guy Therrien) at 2011-08-20 15:54:48
Posting has been displayed 1178 times

And if the boule is stopped at ten feet pass the jack, would you suggest the boule to be replayed?

That the boule was stopped past the jack already gave a break to the player who threw it.

::General discussion front page
::Post new message

Petanque.org

The world wide petanque and boule community, by and for users.

Tweets by @PetanqueOrg Tweets about "petanque"