Subscribe to the forum by e-mail
E-mail address:

::General discussion front page
::Post new message

This is a general discussion forum about petanque. All issues may be discussed here.

We get some strange mail here

Posted by: stig bordsenius) at 2010-10-28 18:43:10
Posting has been displayed 2515 times

We just received this mail:

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am a teacher at Casey Grammar School in Cranbourne, Victoria, Australia. We are going to have a petanque day in a few weeks and one of the first activities will be for the students to go on the Internet to find out more about the game.

When I searched for "petanque rules", your website came up. While the information is excellent, I would like to point out that the nude postcard is inappropriate material for students, and particularly those in the primary school.

I would be grateful if you would consider removing it.

Thanking you in advance of your kind understanding,

Yours faithfully,

Therese Dennis
French Teacher

So, should I remove all traces of humor from the postcards?
It's up to you
Stig bordsenius
Petanque.org

Posted by: Don Nairn) at 2010-10-28 20:52:44
Posting has been displayed 252 times

Naturism is quite common and many naturists play petanque.

My thoughts are that different people have different customs.

Not to tolerate these differences is racist bigotry.

If Therese Dennis and the

Casey Grammar School in Cranbourne, Victoria, Australia

Do not want to be labelled as racist bigots they should not act like racist bigots.

I have only seen simple nudity and if the average 4 year old is upset by simple nudity does it suggest that the child has been abused?

Compared to child abuse simple nudity seems a trivial issue.

Posted by: stig bordsenius) at 2010-10-29 05:49:43
Posting has been displayed 439 times

Thanks for your reply, we seem to agree on this one!

So until people are born with clothes on I think we can live with a few nude petanqe-postcards!

The Administration
petanque.org

Posted by: Fraser White) at 2010-10-29 10:13:05
Posting has been displayed 430 times

One can perhaps agree with the above comments regarding an adult approach to naturists, however 3 points, Firstly I doubt the postcards were designed to promote naturism - more an exercise in very light titillation. Secondly, I do wonder whether you would still hold your view if the postcards were of nude men with the photographer filming from the 'cochonette' end? and Thirdly I would like to assure Ms Dennis that not everyone here in Cheshire thinks your corespondence akin to 'racist' bigotry.

Posted by: Jac Verheul) at 2010-10-29 14:39:32
Posting has been displayed 730 times

Postcards with nude petanque players (of course, mostly female; they refer to the Fanny tradition!) make part of the cultural heritage of the game of petanque. What to say if we would ban all paintings by Rubens or Renoir with voluptous women in our museums of art???

Posted by: Don Nairn) at 2010-10-31 18:46:05
Posting has been displayed 2225 times

I may have come across a bit strongly.

While the teacher involved may not recommend the site because she is worried that parts of the site may cause impure thoughts or some other problem.

That is her problem.

To expect the rest of the world to change because it doesn’t fit in with what she thinks it should be seems quite bigoted.

::General discussion front page
::Post new message

Petanque.org

The world wide petanque and boule community, by and for users.

Tweets by @PetanqueOrg Tweets about "petanque"