Subscribe to the forum by e-mail
E-mail address:

::General discussion front page
::Post new message

This is a general discussion forum about petanque. All issues may be discussed here.

unfair rule?

Posted by: David Smith) at 2011-07-14 13:35:34
Posting has been displayed 2361 times

Okay, I know that most terrains are around 12-16 metres in length. But if the piste is big enough (or you play on the beach) there is a possibility that the coche might get pinged to a much greater distance.

The rules say that the cochonnet has to be within 3-20 metres (roughly translated). Well at only 3 metres, I think even a baby could reach it, but at the other end of the scale, it might be impossible for, say, someone in a wheelchair or an 89 year old to get anywhere near.

unfair rule?

Posted by: Ray Ager) at 2011-07-14 17:08:44
Posting has been displayed 676 times

If you're playing in an official comp, then you have to play to the official rules...

If you're playing a friendly game, then you can come to an agreement as to how to play. I've played in 'social' games in France, with a group of older players, and they ONLY played 6-8m - basically because they didn't have the strength to shoot at longer distances.

If the jack was thrown any longer, it would either be moved back or the circle moved forward. If the jack moved too far during a game, the end would be void.

Regards,

Ray

unfair rule?

Posted by: Colin Stewart) at 2011-07-18 09:26:37
Posting has been displayed 265 times

Perhaps unfair in social games. But I have played in competitions against a team who deliberately would shoot the jack to make ends very long (15m or more). And they were proficient at shooting at those long distances too. A valid tactic and very difficult to play against!

unfair rule?

Posted by: David Smith) at 2011-07-18 13:26:05
Posting has been displayed 165 times

If they want to play at those sort of distances then they might as well play bowls. The rule is there to be exploited.

Surely they must waste a few boules trying to hit the jack so it can't work to their advantage all the time?

unfair rule?

Posted by: Ray Ager) at 2011-07-18 14:19:47
Posting has been displayed 1434 times

Well, interesting...

Are you saying this is a tactic regularly employed?

If you watch the top level games, i.e. French & World Championships, you'll only see the jack shot like this if the situation is pretty desperate - it's certainly not employed as a routine tactic.

::General discussion front page
::Post new message

Petanque.org

The world wide petanque and boule community, by and for users.

Tweets by @PetanqueOrg Tweets about "petanque"