Subscribe to the forum by e-mail
E-mail address:

::General discussion front page
::Post new message

This is a general discussion forum about petanque. All issues may be discussed here.

Three Player Game

Posted by: Chris Kmotorka) at 2011-06-21 02:47:01
Posting has been displayed 354 times

We had three players and decided to play it that way with three boules each. While I realize this isn't a recognized playing option, a question did come up regarding order of play.

We played it where the "furthest" player threw till (s)he was out of boules or got closer, followed by the next closest, etc.

Is that the way you would order play?

Three Player Game

Posted by: Ray Ager) at 2011-06-21 03:06:15
Posting has been displayed 566 times

This is an 'old chestnut'. Given that it's a non-standard game, you can make up your own rules, which is exactly what you've done.

As 'three singles' destroys the basics of the game, i.e. two opposing teams, alternatives are to play 2 against 1 or to have one player as the shooter who will shoot for the others.

Regards,

Ray

Three Player Game

Posted by: Brennan OBrien) at 2011-07-24 02:53:13
Posting has been displayed 128 times

You can play each man for himself, but a more fun way IMHO is with a team of two with three boules each against the third with five boules. It adds a bit more of the team aspect while letting the solo player get a real feel for the ground with his five boules as his advantage. Try it, it balances out well with three fairly evenly skilled players.

Three Player Game

Posted by: Brennan OBrien) at 2011-07-24 02:53:21
Posting has been displayed 678 times

You can play each man for himself, but a more fun way IMHO is with a team of two with three boules each against the third with five boules. It adds a bit more of the team aspect while letting the solo player get a real feel for the ground with his five boules as his advantage. Try it, it balances out well with three fairly evenly skilled players.

Three Player Game

Posted by: David Smith) at 2011-07-01 03:32:56
Posting has been displayed 300 times

When playing 2 versus 1, the pair would play with four boules between them and the singles player would have three. A bit of an imbalance but it seemed to work quite well especially if you had a stronger player in the mix.

Three Player Game

Posted by: Guy Therrien) at 2011-07-01 21:55:04
Posting has been displayed 346 times

Two players play each time while the third player stays this one out.You flip a coin to find out who those two players will be. The player who scores then plays the player that stayed out while the loser goes out the next one. The first player to reach 13 wins.

Anecdote: The first time we played that way, I won 13 to 0 to 0. No kidding. I then proposed that the winner rather than the loser would go out the next round. I won this one too, 13 -7 -7.

With three players with the same skill level, the loser goes out. If one player is really better than the others, the winner go out.

Guy

Three Player Game

Posted by: David Smith) at 2011-07-03 05:27:50
Posting has been displayed 705 times

Hello Guy,

I'm trying to get my head round this one.

Do you mean you swap players every end?

Three Player Game

Posted by: Guy Therrien) at 2011-08-20 14:59:08
Posting has been displayed 824 times

Hi David,

You, me and Roger. You and I play the first end while Roger practices shooting on the side (haha).

You win the end, score is 2-0-0.

Normally, I go out(loser) while Roger comes in to play against you. Roger score 1 point. Score is 2-1-0.

You go out (loser) while I play Roger. And so on until someone reaches 13 points.

Or, you could have the winner of the end go out (this allows the other players with less skill to score.)

Got it? Try it and report.

:

Three Player Game

Posted by: David Smith) at 2011-11-08 02:27:15
Posting has been displayed 5452 times

Yes, I understand it now. This sounds like a really good alternative although I'd probably play to 7 or 9 points to keep games from not dragging on for to long.

Thanks Guy.

Three Player Game

Posted by: terry toza) at 2011-11-05 17:35:34
Posting has been displayed 3845 times

I find it works well if you have 3 balls each and you stick to the order of the game all the way through abc cab bca.
The one who gets the points starts.
It can happen that you are shooting and give an advantage to the third, but the end game is to win and if that means leak points to the person who is not in the lead that is the way you have to go.
You will find that the game develops depending on the skill level and tactics played by the opposition.

::General discussion front page
::Post new message

Petanque.org

The world wide petanque and boule community, by and for users.

Tweets by @PetanqueOrg Tweets about "petanque"